Wednesday, December 7, 2011

It’s Wednesday. All about Yosemite.

What does that mean? Well it means I try to blog today. I’m still pretty behind so I’d love to knock out a couple so here goes (hahaha not gonna happen :).

We went to Yosemite for Nick’s birthday the first week of November. The weather was forecasted for very cold. They didn’t lie. We got at least 6 inches of snow the first night we were there. yes, we were tent camping. The girls and I share a couple of down sleeping bags that are very nice so we were snuggly warm. In fact I got really hot.

The mornings are always the hardest part of camping because you wake up warm and have to change your clothes, and the kids clothes, and get breakfast while it’s freezing, and in this case while everything was covered with snow. We threw our food and the kids in the car and drove around the valley.  We went on Saturday instead of Friday this time because William was playing soccer. So Sunday was our main day and it was very cold. When we were headed home Monday you could tell it was going to be a warmer day and that would have been nice. the girls were a little miserable after awhile in the cold air. Allie couldn’t keep her shoes dry for the life of her so by the time we left I was tired of changing socks and shoes and ready to feel like my own feet were dry and warm. We hiked a few miles (straight) up to Vernal falls. William did amazing. He walked the whole time and hardly complained at all. Allie got carried the whole time and Keira was in the backpack and took a little nap. When we got to the bridge where you can see the falls Keira was awake and Allie was fussy and I think we stayed 10 minutes maybe before we left ASAP to get the crabby girls down. I sang to Keira, rocked, and talked to her the entire way down trying to keep her from crying. Allie’s feet were cold and she was miserable… Wills did great! After that we spent some quality time in the car :)

Most of the trip went just like normal though. The nice thing about the snow was that it didn’t stop any of our camping plans. We were able to cook outside both nights and enjoy being around the camp fire. The other wonderful thing about the snow was that it makes everything look clean and different and beautiful (in a different way). It was lovely. This is the only season I had never seen Yosemite in and I thought it was gorgeous . (Nick has camped there in January before but not I)

In case you think I jest check these out :)yosemite_36

still snowing yosemite_1yosemite_4yosemite_5

the clouds broke and it was BEAUTIFUL!!!!

yosemite_6yosemite_10yosemite_12yosemite_14yosemite_17yosemite_18yosemite_19yosemite_20yosemite_21yosemite_22yosemite_24

headed up to hikeyosemite_25

Nick doing double duty to give me a little break :)yosemite_26

proof we made it to the bridgeyosemite_28

the view from Tunnel view

yosemite_29yosemite_31yosemite_32yosemite_33

he hiked up to bridal vale on our way back.yosemite_34

yosemite_35

Love the memories we get to keep after family camping adventures. Thankful to be warm and snuggly at the moment…

Happy birthday Love!

3 comments:

Stevie said...

Wow... there is NO way I would have done that. Maybe if I had a trailer instead of a tent? It would not be fun for me to take Cohen out. With Matt's anxiety and my grumpiness it would be a mess. You guys are troopers!!! Looks beautiful. I have been to Yosemite once in march and it was cold and snowy. I have always wanted to go back. Maybe this year???

Stef said...

oh my word! you guys are hard core campers! These were beautiful pictures though!

Sarah Moulton said...

there were several moments on this trip and especially heading there I thought I must be crazy for doing this!!!! :)It all worked out though