well not really. I enjoy crafting but I’m not overly good at it. I like to do things that give me a sense of domestic accomplishment, cleaning my house, cooking a nice dinner, sewing, these can all give me that satisfactory “betty Crocker” feeling. Although I enjoy doing these things I am not overly talented or creative. I can do them ok but have to get the idea and directions from somewhere.
Two birthdays ago Nick “bought” me a sewing machine and than two Christmases ago Nick “bought” me (paid for and I picked out what I wanted) sewing supplies. I have hardly done any sewing in the past. My mom sews for utilitarian purposes and my grandma gave us one sewing lesson. Fortunately for me my brother Dan had the wisdom to marry a very talented lady. So she teaches me how to sew :) thanks Chrisy.
Here are the three biggest projects I have ever done. I have made a handful of other things like curtains and stuff. For anyone who cares here is the info on my machine. I have a pretty basic sewing machine. It’s digital but can’t be programed and its called a Janome Magnolia . It’s nice. A little above basic and something I will probably not out grow for a long time.
If I can sew than you can too! Obviously I don’t have loads of time to spend on it and usually when I get half way through a project I go “What was I thinking?!?” but it always feels great when I am done.
So with out further ado here are my few little projects.
I made my first ever quilt for my girl friend Lauren who was having her second baby and her first girl. Like I mentioned above I need help when I sew. Chrisy either showed me how to do every step or told me how on the phone:) I went over to her house with the fabric I had and she helped me pick out some of her fabrics and than lay out a good pattern and then I took it home and got cutting and then sewing. My favorite part of this quilt was the binding material and little squares, LOVE IT! when Wills saw the quilt he told me the little squares (of the same material) were his favorite :) he’s so cute.
here are those pictures
I bought this chair at Ross for $7. I was pretty excited about that but I didn’t like the cover. not really my thing and it was beat up so I figured I would recover it (thus the price). Coincidentally Chrisy had the same exact chair that she had bought for Charity years ago. Her cover was super dirty and so she had been wanting to cover it. Perfect for me cause I needed her help :) we got together back at Christmas time and than I finished it home. here are the pics.
half way done
I made it to give to Allie but her little sister thinks it is a great toy! Scary kid climbs it and stands on it…
this was before I put Velcro on it to hold it in place. Now it doesn’t bunch at all.
she’s cute isn’t she!
The most recent of my projects was a baby quilt for my girl friend Jessi who just had her first girl. Yay! ( I finished the day she was born :) It’s her third baby but her first girl and I just fell in love with this pattern so I figured I would try it. I found this pattern at this very talented ladies tutorial section. I have never met her but she is super creative and I am so impressed with what she can do and how she finds the time!?! Hers is sooo much better than mine but here is my rendition. again. if I can do it so can you :) I told both my girlfriends that these were made with lots and lots of love hopefully that makes up for my skills :)
I started with this
then these
then these
then these… if you don’t like ironing then don’t sew!
Then these…
aren’t these pretty!
then you get this
and poof you get this, just like that
we were visiting with Jessi before baby came and I saw that she had used the backing fabric in her little girls room so I found the matching material at Joanne’s and based my quilt on all those colors. It was fun!
well that’s all from me and my sewing. Hope it encourages you that you either are a pretty decent sewer or you can certainly pick it up. Try it maybe you will surprise yourself. I want to attempt some things for Allie next… we shall see how that goes… Chrisy if you are reading this get ready, hahaha, jk but really I’m not :)
stay tuned for several more post from me cause I am a bit behind :). We even went camping… guess where? Yosemite? Your WRONG. lol you’ll have to wait and see.
5 comments:
Wow~!! I am impressed!! You did a great job on all the sewing projects!!!
you ARE crafty! This is awesome. Good for you!
I am totally impressed! Love the quilt you made Maggie. It is a keepsake :)
Totally cool, Sarah! This is something I'd love to try and take up before any kids come along! Maybe I'll end up calling you for help! :)
Great work, Sarah! I love the sweet little quilts you made and a slipcover is not easy stuff!
I'm impressed that you do any crafting with three kids. I feel just drained at the end of the day and even if I have energy to make something, I don't have brain power to be creative!
Hopefully, I'll get back into it, because it is nice to do something that isn't undone the next day...like dishes, laundry, cleaning, etc. =)
Post a Comment