Thursday, April 28, 2011

Salt Point… it’s kind of a long one.

Our little (well big to most people) family started this years camping season at Salt Point. Salt point is located on Highway 1 which overlooks the Pacific Ocean. Salt Point is about a 1/2 or so from Fort Ross.

We left Friday afternoon and came back Sunday afternoon. I love little mini adventures and will always cherish our camping trips. They are pretty sweet family time to me, no distractions, just lots of “play” time as a fam. In the middle of it I can feel a little overwhelmed or think, is this really a good idea, but I love getting home and looking through all the pictures of what we did.

The drive to Salt point is long. We got to Highway 1 fast and then you slow way way down and winding along for what seems like forever after you thought you were really close. It was kinda rough. Allie kept saying she wasn’t feeling good which I didn’t have a hard time believing cause I was car sick and trying not to get overly queasy. When we traveled home it was better because we started with the winding road and stopped at a beach to play before we kept driving. Helped a lot.

Saturday was SUPER windy. So much so we ate our lunch in our car. The wind is taxing. It made the whole day a lot less fun. As Nick was making dinner and I was sitting in the car with the girls the wind started to die down. We were all very thankful to have the wind return to “normal” ocean windy. Nick and I talked about how we had both been praying for the wind to die down but kinda figured God wasn’t going to answer such a selfish prayer but He did and it was perfect timing for us. we were able to have s’mores and enjoy the next day.  (can I just say for the record that windy (referring to the wind) windy (referring to the road) is just confusing!)

We were amazed that our tent stayed in one place. It was kind of crazy how much the wind was blowing it over. We have camped in difficult weather before, a solid down pour of rain for two whole days, but we decided that we think we would take the rain over the wind.

We did have a great trip! if you know me at all you are well aware that there are a tons of pictures to follow :) enjoy

spsp_1sp_2

playing at our campsite. Fun stuff.sp_3sp_5

Keira taking a nap in her backpack carrier

sp_6

it was windy and half of Allies hair was flying in her face, lol

sp_7sp_8

Wills was climbing with rocks so that her could throw them into the ocean. A family favorite past time

sp_10

Keira and I from a distance.

sp_11

Wills took this one :)sp_13

Nick or I took his one. pretty.

sp_14

climbing with daddysp_16

ok so here is the whole “salt point” thing there is a bunch of sand stone. I read somewhere that they were used to make roads in SF, interesting…

sp_17sp_19

big ole wave. the wind does give you some pretty cool waves.sp_20

I got bored waiting for them while keira napped, lolsp_22

my cute little climbers

sp_25sp_28sp_26sp_27

love this! me and my babies who are all getting so big!sp_30

In the afternoon we went down to another beach. We were the only ones down there at first. It was pretty cool. It was really windy still but we walked all the way across to hide under some big rocks.sp_32sp_33

sp_37

I love this face!!! it is such a Keira smile. I have no idea why she does it but it is super cute!

sp_36

ok so I thought this was kind of cool. It must have been low tide so we could see these little guys hiding in a shell in the cleft in the rock. Have you ever seen Cat in the Hat where they do this and sing we’re holding on, we’re holding on, you’ll never get us off cause we’re holding on, hahaha I’m just gonna admit I enjoyed that episode :)

on a much deeper level it reminded me of how God holds us in the cleft of His hand and protects us from “waves” that threaten us. it was a sweet reminder.

sp_39sp_38

the beachsp_40

love these 4!

sp_43

Nick packing up the carsp_44

it’s hard to tell which is which but you can barely see the ocean from our camp spot.

sp_45

what the kids did while we packed.sp_47

when we camp the girls play in the car a lot. it’s great when its cold or windy or I just need to put them somewhere they can’t get out plus they love it!

sp_49

Our final beach visit before heading home. It was called goat rock beach and there was a life guard down there telling everyone to stay away from the water whiched seemed so weird until I went to the bathroom and saw a sign sayin g this was one of the most deadly beaches in CA. It has sleeper waves  rip tides a sharp shelf drop off and some other stuff.

 sp_50sp_51

yes there was sand in her poop for a few days…sp_52

playing games. Wills could have stayed here for hours!sp_53sp_54sp_55sp_56

pretty pretty. we love the ocean! very grand and powerful. sp_58

Although this isn’t an impressive rock he just concurred, I love this picture of Nick, I feel like it is very descriptive of him and his adventuring spirit. why climb it? cause it’s there. He has a little Sir Edmund Hillary in him for sure.

sp_59

if you made it this far I didn’t realize how long it would be :) I have several more post to get up but I don’t know when I will get there. I have Yosemite camping, Nate and Rach bday party, and Easter… all before our next adventure begins… Thankful to God for fun adventures.

1 comment:

ChrisandMissy said...

You guys are two parts crazy. I can't believe the stuff you do with the kids! The views looked awesome, but I don't know that I would survive to enjoy it. =)
So funny how you stick the girls in the car! Our girls would probably spend most of the time playing there, too.
Fabulous, fabulous photos!
And yes, I have the Holding On song in my head now... I don't mind that one. The one that gets me is "With sticks and stones, we'll fix the dam, fix the dam, fix the dam..." Like I need my kids singing that in the grocery store???