Tuesday, June 3, 2008

memorial day

My parents and Uncle and Aunt (Matt and Nancy) have hosted a picnic for our church on memorial day for the last 15 or 16 years. Everyone comes up and enjoys a bbq and a day filled with athletic games. I always really enjoyed the picnic and it has been fun to see how life changes especially in the last few years. This year is the first year my son could participate. I was pretty excited but realized he might not have any interest. During lunch (before the races) Wills decided he had enough and it was nap time.

He did wake up right before his race and was still in sleep land and there was no way he was going anywhere. He eventually warmed up the concept and ran with daddy in the three legged race. He tried to convince Kate to run the three legged with him, which was very cute, but she decided she wasn't into it. He was like Kate ya ya and pointed to the field. He always adds ya ya when he wants confirmation to something.


Kate you want to run with Wills Kate Ya ya?Taking off with dadGoing good
Wait a minute...
I am all done mommy! As I mention earlier it is a day filled with athletic events. There are individual running races for all ages (I believe Uncle Matt won the men's 40 and over, which had one of the best turn outs of the day, extremely entertaining!!! He is surprisingly fast), three legged races (4 legged, sometimes more), balloon toss, volleyball, basketball and whatever else gets included. Nick won his race, which he lost last year because he ran to close to my brother Nate who is highly competitive:) Nick and I tied Dan and Chrisy for first in the couples balloon toss. The balloons both popped on Nick and Dan. Someone said it was fun to watch two pregnant girls get first. Nick, Nate, and Jonathan won their 4 legged race but barely. They had a very impressive finish. They had to go to the finish line and back and they were one of the last to make the turn and they ended up winning. The girls (Maria, Jocelyn, and Rach) won the girls 4 legged but took a face plant in the mens or they may have taken them. It was a really fun day hanging out and enjoy the outside.

Ready SET GO!

The girls winning their 4 legged race. I love my sisters intensity she was yelling one! two! one! two! It was really fun to watch.

The boys unimpressive start. Nick was so jazzed after their come back. I really do think it was the highlight of his day. Even though I sure he was as shocked as I was that we got first in the balloon toss. Someone needed a partner for a different toss and I told them sure but my joints and equilibrium are supposedly all messed up but I'll do it. It was fun for me to be able to participate.

4 comments:

Stef said...

Looks like an awesome picnic! I love the picture sequence of Wills running and then crying for you... too cute. :)

Stef said...

Also, its hard to vote on what you're having when... we haven't seen tummy pictures!!

Unknown said...

For the record I did not lose last year I took first. The year before that was the year the scandal broke in the mens open competition. Let it be known that some judges felt I was still first even though the photograph shows some foul play afoot at the finish line. My only year without a first, but I am not competitive so who cares :)

Stef said...

haha! I like how UN-competitive you are. ;)
They have judges and everything?! Fancy picnic!