Wednesday, January 19, 2011

my ramble-back to the blog

I am sorry I haven’t written in awhile. To my five faithful readers you have probably missed us. I decided to give myself a break and just enjoy the time my brother and sister were home from SoCal. I am not a huge new years resolution person probably because I am a task type person normally so I continually set goals and try to accomplish them daily, weekly, yearly, (and maybe there are several I should set and really try to accomplish so maybe I will think through that more but…) I think if I had a resolution this year it would be to relax and stop stressing unnecessarily. I am not patting my own back here, because there are many many ways I fail, but I work really hard to keep our house clean, organized, all of the above. I think that is a really good thing! I am thankful that it comes naturally, my momma trained me well. I have been realizing lately though that I think I work too hard at it. I think if I just cut myself some slack and condensed my choirs a little it might make for a more available mom. Don’t get me wrong that doesn’t mean I can live with dirty dishes and unwashed laundry or in a general mess, no no this lady can’t handle that and that would not help me be more relaxed, I guess what I am gonna try to do is have days that my choirs aren’t my focus and see if that helps give me the freedom to feel like I can just hang out with the kids and if all I accomplished that day was getting everyone dressed and fed than that’s fine. I think I demand to much of myself unnecessarily and than stress myself out because I didn’t get it done. I think I also kinda find my identity in my to do list. I take pride in being on top of everything and than get annoyed that I ran out of things to do or can’t keep up with it all. Maybe that doesn’t make sense to you but it gives me a sense of purpose and accomplishment when I get to check things off my list or discouraged when I wasn’t able to get to anything. So I guess what I am saying is I am going to keep having my list, because let’s face it I need help remember what it was I was gonna accomplish, I am going to keep my house clean but realize it doesn’t have to be spotless (I do have three kids), feed my family, do the laundry, and the dishes, and don’t forget the shopping but I am not going to let it stress me out or become my focus… because honestly it’s not what life’s about, even a stay at home wife and mommies life and I really want to remember that!!  I want our focus to be the AMAZING LOVE of God and let that permeate everything we do. Already in 2011 I have failed my family numerous times but that’s the awesome thing about God, His mercies are new each morning and I know he wants me to succeed in my service to him. So pray for me cause I definitely need it. Hope you find time to enjoy 2011.

4 comments:

Stef said...

hey Sarah! I will pray for you. We moms are all finding ourselves in the same boat, I'm sure. We all struggle with daily challenges and we all need to lift each other up and encourage, give advice, help out, etc... we're a support system in the blog world, in many ways! So I totally appreciate this open, honest post. I like blogs over facebook for this very reason :)

Okay, so here's my super wise advice ;-p
When I was struggling with this type of thing {and I'm sure I will off and on for the rest of my Mommy days} I had a much older, wiser lady give me some advice - "get up before your kids and keep your family on a good schedule." She told me not to be outrageously rigid with the schedule - that becomes annoying to more people than just your family. You don't want kids that flip out if they're not down for naps at exactly 12:05pm each day ;-)
But in all seriousness, getting on a good/healthy schedule (if you aren't already) and then getting yourself on a good/healthy schedule, so you can be up and getting to the duties of the house/cooking before they even get up, its SO helpful! I mean, its been incredibly helpful to me and the nice thing is, I've seen it pay off with the rest of my family.
But, it took a lot of prayer and diligence, because I like to be up late at night and I don't enjoy getting up before the sun ;-)

I will be praying for you, friend!

Stef said...

gosh, sorry for the novel :(

The Abe Green Family said...

Sarah, I totally understand your "lists" and feeling of accomplishment when they are completed or feeling of failure when you don't complete it. I try to tell Abe that my home and my children are the final product of my work. If they are a mess, I feel like I am failing at my "job." I like your idea of having chore days. I have started to that with cleaning, but should extend it to other areas :) Thanks for the encouragment!

Not sure this matters to you, but I find you to be a very chill mom who handles all the different tasks of motherhood with grace and ease :)

{MrsH} said...

Hey Sarah!
So I finally decided to take the plunge and start blogging lol! then I got excited because I'm learning all this stuff about the blogging world and finding out that I can follow your blog so here I am :) Hopefully this way we'll keep better in touch with each other's lives. Miss ya!