Wills finished up our first year of school. We did Horizon charter school this year. he was enrolled in a program where he went to class on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9-12. I loved having him home and at school. I thought it was a very nice set up. He was able to have classroom time with teachers who weren’t mom and other kids who were learning at different levels and have different behavior and I was able to have two days that I didn’t have to spend my entire morning teaching him. I think most homeschool moms have a love hate relationship with it. I love teaching him. I love having him home still, I’m afraid I may always think of him as my baby, even when he’s bigger than me :). I wasn’t ready to give him up to hours of school every day outside our home. I thought 3 hours was pretty reasonable amount of time for him to be gone. I don’t feel like I’m an overly protective mom but letting them grow up and giving up control is an interesting experience. On the other hand there were days I was happy to not be his teacher that day. Having two days off let me catch a break and clean, organize, fold laundry, grocery shop, or whatever else I felt like I needed to get done. It also gave me a break after a difficult day. I knew at least we didn’t have to face that again the next day. We had several days when I wondered why it was I wanted to do this. I called my sister-in-law, who homeschooled her girls through kindergarten and who loaned me several of her books and gave me great insight into what in the world I was doing since I had no idea…, crying several times just feeling totally overwhelmed by everything. The other great thing about home school is that you get opportunity to really deal with heart issues. Not only can you structure into your day with whatever you want it to include, bible study, prayer, singing… but your precious little sinner is going to bring the worst out of you and show you both your need for God’s grace, again, and again, and again. You get to deal with a lot of “I don’t want to do school attitude”. Often times in my I was totally agreeing with him :) I didn’t want to either. You also get some pretty cool mommy time of instructing their minds and like I mentioned more importantly their hearts .
I felt like it was a great fit for us last year and I’m looking forward to diving in again this year. Although I know this year will include some interesting adjustments as we plan on welcoming baby in Oct. My plan is to take one year at a time and each child individual and evaluate what's best for all of us every year. We’ll see how that goes :)
here are some pictures from his graduation.
although he is one of the smallest kids in his class he is standing in the back row so he looks extra short in some of these pictures. When he got his certificate they asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up and he said “When I grow up I want to be a dirt bike rider”. Pretty accurate from our son. I also think I prefer that to the kid who wanted to be Yoda…
No comments:
Post a Comment